The Monument, 1750

The Monument stands at the junction of Monument Street and Fish Street Hill in the City of London. It was built between 1671 and 1677 to commemorate the Great Fire of London and to celebrate the rebuilding of the City.

Continue reading

Custom House

Until 1814 the Custom House stood in the parish of All Hallows Barking, immediately to the east of the present site. The site was long known as “Wool Quay”, and, from the medieval period, a custom house was...

Continue reading

Arundel House

Arundel House was a town-house or palace located between the Strand and the Thames, near St Clement Danes. It was originally the town house of the Bishops of Bath and Wells, during the Middle Ages. In 1539 it was given to...

Continue reading