Louis in a rare moment of keeping still!
Louis exploring Belton House. Taken with a Fuji X100.
Portrait of Mina at Belton House.
Grosvenor Square is a large garden square in the exclusive Mayfair district of London, England. It is the centrepiece of the Mayfair property of the Duke of Westminster, and takes its name from their surname, “Grosvenor”.
The central garden, which was originally reserved for the use of the occupants of the houses as was standard in a London square, is now a public park managed by The Royal Parks. At the eastern end of the garden there is a small memorial dedicated to the British victims of the September 11 attacks. The memorial includes an elliptical granite block engraved with the names of the victims and the poem For Katrina’s Sun-Dial, by Henry van Dyke.
Located on Mill Road, so called due to the nine windmills that formerly faced west over the steep slopes of the Lincoln Edge.
Ellis Mill is now the sole survivor of these mills and an excellent example of a small tower mill. The Mill dates from 1798 but there has been a mill on this site from at least the middle of the 17th century.
The first recorded owner of Ellis Mill was a wealthy landowner named Anthony Meres. It went through a succession of owners until December 1894 when John Ellis bought the mill for £250. He died in 1920, but his wife and son successively retained ownership until 1973.
The mill was worked until the 1940s when the machinery was removed and it fell into dereliction. Tragedy struck further when a fire finally destroyed all of the remaining woodwork in 1974.
The Lincoln Civic Trust acquired the Mill in March 1977 and set about its restoration. First, the tower was cleaned and the floors and cap re-constructed. It was then necessary for replacement parts to be found that fitted the dimensions of the existing tower.
The cap mechanism was acquired from ‘Subscription Mill’ in Sturton-by-Stow and the stones and drives from ‘Eno’s Mill’ at Toynton-all-Saints. The sails and fantail were built and erected by Thompson and Co., millwrights from Alford.
The Mill was finally completed in 1980 and on Sunday 26th April 1981, Ellis Mill ground its first flour for 40 years.
The Mill is still in full working order and provides flour, subject to sufficiently windy days! The Mill is now managed by Lincolnshire County Council but would not run without the group of devoted volunteers who help maintain, staff and promote the site. It will be some of these volunteers who guide you around the mill.
Gurkhas in St James’s Park, London.
The Gurkhas are military unit in the British army, enlisted in Nepal. Although they meet many of the requirements of Article 47 of Protocol I to the Geneva Conventions defining mercenaries, they are exempt under clauses 47(a)(c)(d)(e)&(f), as is the French Foreign Legion.
Gurkha units are closely associated with the khukuri, a forward-curving Nepalese knife. Former Chief of Staff of the Indian Army, Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw, once famously said about Gurkhas: “If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha.”
Couple sitting below statue of Tennyson at Lincoln Cathedral.
Alfred Tennyson, 1st Baron Tennyson, FRS (1809-1892) was Poet Laureate of Great Britain and Ireland during much of Queen Victoria’s reign and remains one of the most popular British poets.